It may be all one Self both up and down the ladder....!
In an Advaita Vedanta book which I recently read, Self as explained both up and down the ladder....! It may be all one Self in disguise.
1. SELF - Paramatman or Brahman the unmoved mover (Highest aspect of God - No maya - Pure Awareness) (aspect of God)
2. Self - Ishwara the God who creates the world and sustains it through maya (Descended aspect of God and creator of maya, laws of existence, Evolution and Karma) (aspect of God)
3. Self - witnessing self in us when self identifies with the source (Merging with Source and behaves egoless. Self becomes egoless in the individual. Mind and Intellect understand their limitations) (aspect of God)
4. Self - Witnessing Self identified with the Mind (like, 'witnessing self' aspect becomes powerless) (aspect of Jiva)
5. self - Mind superimposed on witness (like, mind dominates the witness and crushes the 'witnessing self' aspect, becomes Egoistic)(aspect of Jiva)
6. self - Materialistic mind identified with the worldly aspects (Generalistic/Ordinary Mind) (aspect of Jiva)
Adopted from the book (in my words with explanation): I, THE SUPREME TRUTH, ABSOLUTE AND ULTIMATE by Sridhara Bhat. Please read the original book for original explanation.