Someone wrote me about the Avadhuta Gita.
I think that I had a copy of this gita about 5 years ago and certain passages gave an open feeling. The one’s that I liked at the time (one by one) demolished everything.
1. I won’t repeat his letter, but I will address his points. First he relates to Exodus in the bible when “God” says “I am that I am”. "This is Advita where the knower, the knowledge and known are one."
Do we need to reach for these connections? Do they really have any significance, other than to prove someone’s point?
2. Then he finds that St. John of the Cross has adopted Neti Neti, which proves the universality of establishing yourself in the Godhead by negating. This one is not a harmless option.
Of course Christians (and Jews?) were completely ruled by guilt and shame, so negating is not a far stretch of the imagination. Is that how you want to run your life??
Negation has a heavy consequence with your feelings and in mis-directing your attention. You will always find yourself ruminating on thoughts and concepts and twisting and turning to avoid paying attention to what is your real and honest gift, your day to day life. (Where else can life be but day to day?)
If you continuously spit on your gift (well that’s the greatest sin, if you want to think in those terms), then you are completely self-damned, only by your own beliefs and your own actions.
You may say that my gift is a mindless rat race. But that is not a comment on the gift of life. That is only a comment on how YOU run life. Can you be coached on how to run your life in a more skillful way?
3. This negating includes:
- every object of the senses
- all psychological objects
- all feelings
- all pleasure and pain
- all joy and sorrow
- all attraction and aversion
"By this method you are established in the self! It is by Logic, that God is defined by what God is not."
What rubbish! You no longer want any part of being a human. No feelings, no sense organs, no preferences. You must have descended to the very bottom of your rat race. You’ve even gone below the rats. Now you are a spaced out robot. And so is the God that you worship. And it is all held in place with a “logic”.
Remember logic is NOT existential. (It ain’t here.) Logic is just borrowed mind seeking to dominate other minds, and they have done a good job on you. It is done the world over, not any less on this forum.
4. He goes on to say that you can also Assert your divinity. Welcome to the world of fantasy, all borrowed of course. Maybe better than negating, and still useful to escape your "gift of life". Actually, even awakening is borrowed, because you don’t know what to make of it unless you’ve been studying the lore or your teacher tells you what it means.
Avoiding your own life has been such a painful ordeal that any further detachment from it comes as a welcomed relief. Then you can negate, dismiss and fantasize all the more to feel worse and worse, which will magnify the sense of relief in spacing out, until it becomes so big that you can call it an awakening.
5. I go completely in the opposite direction. Come closer and closer to Here, (with your attention), until you are unshakable in your resolve to not be led into hear-say about life. The depth of your gift is immeasurable, and anything that you will ever find is contained herein. You do this by multiplying your joy factor. This is done by what you tell yourself and others about (anything) your life. It is all done with your words. Every word that you think (or say) creates a contraction level (more or less than before). This is your feeling state. Only say (think) things that open this contraction level. This is why I sometimes say things about people that they resent, pretending that I don't know them. I just read them like a book, by their words, which they reflect in life to a perfection. That's universal.
I once coined the term “verbal doorway” but it did not refer to the content per se’ of your thoughts. It referred to the feeling that comes through the doorway of your communications and your self-talk. It is easy to watch that feeling level and relate it to what your present definition set is.
All freedom of a skillful life is the ongoing result of being responsible for your self talk.